This weekend I went for a celebratory meal with Jess, co-writer of this blog, known as the Persian princess amongst our mutual friends. The occasion? Jess had hit her 1 year mark on tinder. I'm sure you'll agree, it's worth celebrating that 400 men you've never met are keen to marry/date/have sex with you. Red Dog Saloon is in walking distance of both our houses, and although recently we've rarely ventured further into shoreditch than StickyWings on brick lane (more to come on that from Jess) we took the extra hike to Red Dogs.
A little history about Jess and Myself: we met in 2012 in America, and have overall spent six months together in the states, so despite the fact that we ate an equal amount of chipotle and sushi to the among of wings we ate, back in London we get extremely nostalgic to those carefree summers jumping in lakes and drinking corona for breakfast, and always turn to USA themed resteraunts to eat out, to the point that we've become self proclaimed experts. And by experts, read gobby over sharers who just want an excuse to eat more.
Red dogs has a slightly different vibe to the other American themed resteraunts in the area (diner, far rock away etc) forgoing the neon signs and leather booths for a true to thier name saloon style, and I love it. It's a little dinger, a little more sordid, and has an air of guilt about it, so basically ideal for ordering too much, spending too much and over feeding the little piggy inside of you.
A tester of a great resteraunt to me is a menu so varied that I want to order more than one dish, and even better, one that recognises that greedy urge and allows me to do so. Red dog offers the option to combine two off thier BBQ meats and add two sides, so following our shared portion of buffalo wings, when piled high wooden boards approached us, filled with pulled pork, baby back ribs, brisket and surrounded by baskets of fries, mac & cheese and wedge salad, I was pretty chuffed! Food was good generally, perfectly cooked meat, could have done with a bit more sauce but i like to smother things generally so personal preference over anything. Best thing was there was loads of food. Admittedly it was at the higher end of what you expect to pay for diner food in London, but when you get so much food, its definitely worth forking out for!
Wing's were a good solid buffalo wing- not worth writing home (or to the states) about, but enjoyable all the same. The guys at the table next to us were attempting the red hot wing challenge, which from what I gather is a portion of super hot wings in 15 or so minutes, and this dude looked like he was dying! So if your lucky theres a little bit of entertainment thrown in there as well!
The highlight of Red Dogs? The Jug of beer. Not enough diners offer a jug of beer, American sports bar style, and it's amazing as well as always way better value for money, which in a city where a pint costs a fiver, is a much needed necessity. I was always partial to a pitcher of wetherspoons purple rain as a student, but now I'm not getting money from the government to live, I've realised that I was paying for a lot of ice, cheap booze and a bunch of e numbers and food colouring and that a jug of ice cold, no frills beer is a way better bulk buying drink choice.
We actually went to Cargo for a drink after, and I took some of the leftovers in a brown bag and the doorman confiscated it and (probably) ate it, and he just looked like a man who knows his meats so I'd say that Red Dog Saloon has another new fan too!
Wingin it wings rating: 7/10
Who to go with: Anyone who's not a vegetarian/on a diet.
Location: 37 Hoxton Sq, N1 6NN
Website: http://www.reddogsaloon.co.uk
Polly's under the wing : I'm allergic to the south of the river unless it's a saturday at Infernos, but Red Dog's have just opened a Clapham branch too!
Jess's under the wing: Skip the sides and head straight for the meat - my philosophy for life

No comments:
Post a Comment